Tuesday, July 6, 2010

First Harvest

This morning I made my first "harvest" from my garden. It consisted of two grape tomatoes.

I have found that I absolutely love gardening. However, my garden is not producing very well. So far, Lee and I have received harvests of vegetables from three different people whose gardens are overflowing with abundance.

I have identified several "opportunities" with my garden, mainly that I am more focused on beauty then production. I think that next year I am going to hire Lee as an assistant. He may correct some of the design flaws that I have incorporated into my garden this year.

My first harvest:
My garden:
The next three pictures are of the only other signs of fruit in my garden:

One small green pepper
One small banana pepper
One mal-formed cucumber
The following pictures are "opportunities" that I have identified and hope to correct next year. (Yes, most of these issues arise from the fact that I am stubborn.)

I did not buy a long enough stake for my tomato plant and it is about to hit the ground or brake.
I do not think that we will be having strawberries this year. The plant is growing at a snail's pace.
I love the glass cover on my garden and refuse to move it. However, several plants (carrots, onions, brocolli, ...) have met their death when they hit it and couldn't grow anymore. My cucumber vine is doing well since it is growing away from the box.
This box is a disaster. I tried to defy nature and plant grapes (dead), blueberries (dead), raspberries (dead), corn, pumpkins, and watermelon all in the same small box. It turns out that doesn't work very well.
Oh well... I am still proud of my small harvest and am hoping for better ones next year.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

At least you don't have to worry about living on it. It's a start.
Talk to Aunt Dolores she knows lots about gardening.
Sandy

Charles Meyer said...

The 2 grape tomatoes look absolutely gorgeous. I have some tomatoes in my garden that are smaller than a blueberry and are turning red. I don't know what that's about. I loved all the pictures from Tennessee, it looks like you had a great time. Love, Mom