Saturday, July 13, 2013

Not Ready for a Survival Situation

For those who know me, know that I absolutely love to watch survival shows.  My favorites include "Man, Woman, Wild," "Dual Survivor," and "Survivorman." 

I watched most of the "Survivorman" episodes with the boys and all three of us felt that were ready if a survival situation were to occur.  So, when Caleb saw a coconut at the grocery store, he got excited that we had a chance to practice our skills and be prepared in case we are in a survival situation on a tropical island.

Well...  I can tell you we are not ready.

First of all, they are very difficult to open.  After internet research, we figured out that a corkscrew was the best way to create a hole to drain the water.  It actually works quite well.

As Gray said, "That is yucky water."

So, we strained it and were all excited to taste this delicious tropical liquid that we have been dreaming of.  Let me tell you, it is absolutely DISGUSTING!!!  The most foul liquid that I have ever put in my mouth and the taste does not go away.  It was so gross, that all of us (except Caleb) spit it out immediately.  Caleb reported that he liked the liquid?!  True Spartan to the core.  The kid has the highest tolerance for pain and self sacrifice that I have ever seen.

We were very concerned about the taste of the liquid that we immediately began thinking that the coconut had to be bad and full of mold.  So, we opened it.  The best way to open it (per internet) is to throw it on the ground and it will break open into several pieces.

We were very happy to see that it was not moldy.  However, only Lee was willing to taste it and he said it was gross.

After more internet research, we found many reports of coconuts tasting like "soap."  It apparently happens when the coconuts are not fresh.  So, if we are ever stranded on a tropical island, I am pretty sure I will not be a "survivor."  Especially since I am never eating a coconut again and I have a fear of fish.

1 comment:

Dolores said...

The coconut must have not been too good. Actually the juice should be pleasant. Love, Aunt Dolores