Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Transfering to the PCICU

The surgeon just came and spoke to Lee and I. The surgery has ended and they are transfering Graysen to the PCICU right now. We will be allowed to see him at 3:45 PM, so we are just waiting for them to move him.

The surgery went well. He is doing "fine." The Rastelli (baffle, shunt, and valve) part of the surgery went well. When the opened him up, they found that the artery going to the left lung was more narrow than anticipated, and the surgeon had to do a patch there. The reason that he had to go back on the heart-lung bypass machine for a second time was that there was a bleed near the left pulminary artery. They stopped the bleed, and he is stable.

The surgeon said that he does not have any additional concerns for Graysen at this time. They will have to watch the bleeding very carefully the next few hours. That is his main concern.

We will find out more information when we go into visit him. The pediatric cardiologist will speak to us on how Graysen is doing. The surgeon's job is over. Graysen is now turned over the pediatric cardiologist, whose job is to keep him stable, manage his recovery, and deal with any unexpected issues.

The good news is that Graysen's O2 saturation is reading 100% for the first time in his life! We can't wait to see our little boy with so much oxygen. Based on what I have seen with 70% oxygen, I think that he is going to be a handful with 100%!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!

Charles Meyer said...

I'm so grateful this is over. I cannot wait to see him when I can give him lots of hugs and kisses, though I know it will be awhile before that can happen. Everyone is praying for an "uneventful" recovery. I love you all sooooo much....Mom

Anonymous said...

A very good day! That is great about the O2!

Dolores said...

We are so grateful everything went well. Our love and prayers continue for you all. Love, Aunt Dolores

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear everything went well. As Stacy and Scott said Praise the Lord. I wish I was there with you so I could give him a great big hug and kiss. Love you. Grandma

Anonymous said...

Just want you to know I've been keeping an update on Graysen too. He, as well as you and Lee are in my prayers. Seems you're all doing well. Thank God.

Anonymous said...

We are so glad that Graysen did well. He is such a little trooper! Sarah Grace also sends hugs and kisses.

Anonymous said...

So glad everyting has gone so well. We have been monitoring the blog and so happy for your family and Chuck and Debbie as I know they were so concerned also. Ken and Sheryl from River Place 100

Anonymous said...

A great day for Greysen and all of us!

Anonymous said...

Yay for the oxygen! That's great news. I hope all continues to go well.

-Candice

Anonymous said...

Steve and I are both so happy Graysen is thru his surgery and doing so good, we pray for him and hope he continues to do so well!!