Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Kindergarten

Well... My precious little baby is off to his first day of Kindergarten. I can tell that he is excited about this new adventure.

We are very blessed that Caleb is able to go to Spartanburg Charter School for kindergarten through eighth grade. SCS differs from standard public school in that it uses a Reggio-Emilia education philosophy and unique teaching methods such as inquiry-based learning, single gender classes, and Intervention and Advancement Teams.

Caleb will receive nine years of Mandarin Chinese training starting in Kindergarten. He will go to yoga every other day in addition to a regular P.E. period. He will also receive Character Education twice a week which focuses on personal and social ethics and coping strategies. There is a strong focus on the fine arts. Last year, the children had a gallery show at Hub Bub gallery complete with an opening night reception.

The school and classes are small which promotes a small community environment throughout the school.

I think that SCS is a wonderful school and am so happy that Caleb received a spot. The school very much focuses on developing all parts of the being and I think that it will be a great start to his academic and professional life. Can you not tell that Mommy is very excited about SCS?!




2 comments:

Lisa said...

Thinking of him today. I love him like he is mine :) Can't wait to hear how his day went.

Anonymous said...

Give Caleb a big hug from Ms. Carol. I'll be thinking about him as he starts this big adventure. I know he's going to love kindergarten and will be a great success. I'll miss him but I know he's off to bigger and better things. Looking forward to hearing how kindergarten goes and how much Caleb loves his new school and teachers.