Monday, June 15, 2009

Caleb's first truck purchase...

did not go as planned. While my dad was napping and Lee was listening to music on headphones, my mom and I decided to buy the boys a battery-operated vehicle. We let Caleb pick out a model on the internet and he picked out a Dodge Viper, which he fell in love with. "A-Pub's car." "A-Pub share Graysen." "Red car! Red car! Red car!!!" (Caleb calls himself "A-Pub.")

When Lee joined the conversation, after which mom and I had promised Caleb a Dodge Viper, Lee recommended that we check reviews on it. It turned out that the Viper is not made by Fisher Price and was a piece of junk. We had to tell Caleb that the Viper was "broken" and I planned to turn his attention to the Ford Mustang.

Lee then recommended that I make sure that I could find a Ford Mustang in Spartanburg before I promise yet another car to the 3 year old. I could not find one. I looked online at all the stores (Toys R Us, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Sears, Target...) and called around.

My mom and I then decided that the Ford F-150 was the way to go. It was in stock in Greenville and was at a decent price. We then pumped Caleb up about the truck, about which he got very excited. It had a real truck bed in which Geoffrey could ride! What is cooler than that!!!

So, we packed up two minivans and drove to Greenville. The Greenville Wal-Mart had it in stock, but the package was busted and it was $50 more than the online price. (I learned a very valuable lesson about Wal-Mart's pricing structure. The online price is not the store price.) So, I did not want to spend $50 more than I was planning to buy a busted F-150. (The store happened to have the Mustang at a good price, but by this time Mommy had fallen in love with the F-150 and did not want the Ford Mustang.)

My mom then recommended that we try the Boiling Springs Wal-Mart. We then drove to Boiling Springs. They had one on display but it had two different price stickers on it, both of which were higher than the online price. By this time, we were all exhausted and decided that it was not worth tracking down a manager to determine if they had one and to "discuss" the price. So, we promised Caleb that we would order one as soon as we got home on the computer with Mommy's credit card. (Caleb knows how to order items on the internet. He understands that they come a few days later and keeps a look out every day for the "big truck" that brings the items to the house.)

On the way home, Caleb kept saying, "A-Pub help mommy with computer." (Caleb does not forget things.) So, we ordered it when we got home and he is happy knowing that it will be coming in a few days. Lee even volunteered to give up his parking spot in the garage during the warm months so that we can house the F-150 in the garage. The F-150 will be stored in the basement in the winter.

My dad's response to the day was, "This is what I get when I fall asleep." Lee's response was next time my mom and I decide to buy something, go for it, but don't involve him in the shopping trip!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Help me out........what is "APub"?

Lisa said...

Read it again. I understand now.