Thursday, April 1, 2010

Adventuras

Today was a day of adventures. We decided that we had spent the past three days viewing religious art and weren't up for a fourth day, so we decided to "punt" instead of going to the two churches that I had planned. Lee had picked out a "trendy" market in a barrio that sounded great. However, there were two problems. 1) It is Maundy Thursday, and based on the the noises that we heard last night, the "Madrilenos" spent last night beating drums and parading until after midnight. Thus, all of the stores didn't open until noon instead of 10 AM. 2) "El barrio" (the neighborhood) was not safe. Lee was concerned by the three prostitutes that we saw. I thought, "Um. I am open-minded and do not judge." However, I got concerned when I asked an old man about Maundy Thursday and he told me about the hours, told me to go back to the center of the city (Plaza del Sol), and to be very careful, hold my bag tight, and that we were targets. I then looked around, noticed deserted streets and police, and did not feel safe.

We decided to scrap shopping head back to our second planned activity which was to go to the Museo de Ferrocarril and view train cars for the boys. It felt like we were on a playdate without the boys. All we kept talking about was how much Caleb would love the museum. We bought the boys coloring books that I am sure that they will love. We had coffee in a 1930's dining car, which I loved!

After the Museo de Ferrocarril, which was a VERY long walk from the city center, we went to the Thyssen-Bornemisza museum. It is a great art museum that has a collection that represents a lot of different time periods and artists. We thoroughly enjoyed the museum. After the museum we did a little bit of shopping on the way home and took a siesta. I thought that I would LOVE siesta time, but it is too late for me and is really messing up my sleep schedule. I slept from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM, we went to dinner at our favorite restaurant (Artemisa) and am still up. I probably wont go to sleep until 1 AM and we tend to wake up early. My body is very confused and tired.

I am looking forward to our nightly web call with the boys. Their eyes light up when we show them what we have bought them. They are counting the days until Mommy and Daddy come home on an airplane with their gifts. In the meantime, they are having a blast with Grammy.

Here are a few pictures from our day:

El Museo de Ferrocarril
Pictures of trains for the boys.
Cafe in a 1930'2 dining car.
Lee studying a boiler.
El Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza

1 comment:

Uncle Gordon said...

I was totally amazed at the great and varied collection of art at Thyssen-Bornemisza museum.
Good thing you left that neighborhood. If a neighborhood either does not look good or feel good the only opinion is to get out of it pronto. Have a good Easter with your boys and parents!